Tuesday, May 3, 2016

How many Americans does it take to change a light bulb?

How many Americans does it take to change a light bulb?
Written on 5/3/2016
So, How many American's does it take to change a light bulb?
.....
.....
.....
....
Just one actually. (Me!)
But it took me about a month to finally get around to doing it.
You see, the light bulb in my kitchen/shower went out a while ago. And instead of going to the hardware store and fixing the bulb, I kept putting it off and using my phone as a light, or a candle, or a Luminaid light.
Each of these techniques had its own unique problems. The Luminaid worked great, until I kept forgetting to charge them in the sunlight. Using my Iphone was problematic when I needed to use both of my hands to cook, and my mouth just doesn't quite hold an Iphone in the right way. And candles are really lovely, but they just don't make enough light and also, as you can probably imagine, I had a tough time showering with a candle at night.
So today, after days of putting "get a new light bulb. Fix light in kitchen" on my to-do list, I finally made my way over to the hardware store. Halfway there, I realized I forgot the French word for light bulb (ampoule) and figured - what the heck, I will say the word for light in Malagasy (jiro) and they will understand.
It worked! And the man showed me the light bulbs they had. It's a small selection really, 6 different types of light bulbs. But anyone who knows me knows that decision making about small things isn't my strong point. So he continues to talk about all the different types of light bulbs trying to get me to just pick one and finally I just say, "you know, I just need to see in my house."
The owner of the store, who is sitting across the room at his desk just starts cracking up and says, "Do you need to see really well or is it okay if its kind of dark?" I said, "Really well!" and he told the man helping me which light bulb to hand over.
Just when I thought the struggle was over...the helper points to the end of two light bulbs, one is a screw-in light bulb, and the other sort of clicks in. He asks which one I need and I say, "I really don't know! I didn't look at that at my house! At this point, the owner of the store is almost falling over in his chair because he is laughing so hard and the guy helping me is trying his best to keep himself together.
After minutes of explaining to me that there are two different types of light bulbs and trying to get me to remember which one I need, I finally get an idea to solve the problem, "Which one do people use most often?  I thought that was a good way to solve the problem, they thought it was hilarious, but still gave me the one they said I probably have, and said I could come back and exchange it if I was wrong.
So. I got the light bulb (it was the right kind!) and I fixed the light. AND I FINALLY crossed that off my to do list.

And I'm sure the owner of the store will tell the joke of the American who didn't know which light bulb to use in her house for the rest of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment