Friday, May 27, 2016

Update!

What I’ve Been Doing and What’s To Come: An Update.

Written on 5/27/2015

So what I’ve been doing, as anyone who follows my blog would know....is not writing blog posts. My apologies about that. The truth is, after 3 months of going back and forth to Tana and working my bum off, I took some time to just enjoy being at site again and get back into the routine of my every-day life here. And that meant not blogging apparently.

The past month and a half at site have been wonderful, if slightly uneventful. It was great to remember why I’ve come to love my community and a bittersweet reminder of all the people and things I’ll miss about living here. The joyful good mornings and good afternoons from students on the streets and the people who stop me on my walks to see how I’m doing and let me know whats new in their lives. It’s wonderful to be reminded that I’ve become a part of this community over the past two years.

I’ve also been spending some time working on my future goals - as anyone who knows me would attest is a common task for me. I’ve been working on updating and refreshing my resume and writing my personal statement for grad school. Special thanks go out to the people who have already been proofreading them and helping me make edits for improvement. Hopefully all this work pays off in a few months and I get a wonderful job for next year and a admitted into wonderful graduate level programs (...with reduced tuition).

In the months to come, I’ll be wrapping up my service and helping to prepare my replacement and his/her training group for their service. I’ll celebrate my final Malagasy Independence Day with my community and have a few end-of-the-year parties with my school and the center staff. I’ll probably travel a bit and see some places in Madagascar that I’ve been dying to see my whole service but haven’t had the time yet. And at some point in August (date still unknown) I’ll end this chapter and start a new one state-side.

These next few months will surely fly by, and although I’m excited to be home and for the adventures that follow Peace Corps, leaving this wonderful community and beautiful country is going to be difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment