Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Last Sleep at Site

Last Sleep at Site
Wirriten in 08/02/2016

It's my last night sleeping at site. It's been such a whirlwind couple of weeks - a couple of years really- that it took a moment for that to really sink in. 

As I got ready for bed and started finalizing my packing and seeing my near empty house it really hit me. I'm leaving site tomorrow.

And now, laying in bed. I'm remembering all the nights I've slept here. 

Those first few nights at site, when I was terrified of the noises I was hearing and exhausted from all the new things I was trying to learn everyday. Tucking myself into my net night after night felt so awkward at first. Now, it's a part of my routine that I'll feel so exposed without in just a few weeks. 

There are a few specific nights that come to mind. Like the night a huge spider was hanging out at the head board. Or the night I was bit by a baby trambo! The first night my little kitty cat slept in my bed, and the night after he got in a fight  that I though might be his last. The night I woke up realizing I had spent the night with a dead cockroach in my bed. My first night with my fuzzy blanket instead of my sleeping bag. And all the other nights in between - I really made this place into a home. 

All the nights coming home from happy days and being excited for the days to come. The nights staying up late chatting with volunteers who were visiting or passing through. The times I finally crawled into bed after a long successful day. But I can't forget the endless nights this bed supported me through. The oceans of tears my pillow absorbed. The seemingly unbearable truths the covers hid until morning so I could gather the strength in my sleep to concur them. And I will never forget the gallons of sweat lulling me into sleep during the unbearable heat of the summer season. 

It's been a beautiful, tragic, unimaginable adventure here. And my house has really bookended every day. And I'm forever grateful for it  and for everyone who helped make It into a home. 

If every person you've loved builds a house in your heart, than I have a full village from all the people I've had the chance to meet here in Madagascar. 

Goodness, I am going to miss this place. So. So much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment